Complex, high quality diagnostic and surgical care is provided on our 28-bed Thoracic Surgery/Respirology In-Patient Unit for both Level 1 (ward) and Level 2 (acute care) patients.
Patients benefit from the interprofessional approach of our care team of physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, respiratory therapists, nutritionists, physical therapists and social workers working together to ensure seamless integration of care delivery.
The majority of our patients have diagnoses of:
- Cancer or benign diseases of the thorax requiring surgical interventions on the chest wall, lungs, trachea, mediastinum, diaphragm and esophagus.
- End stage lung disease, many of whom require assessment for lung transplant.
Surgical treatments for lung and esophageal cancers, mesothelioma, and thromboembolic diseases include traditional and minimally invasive approaches, as well as state of the art robotic techniques.
Unit Highlights/Special Projects/Achievements:
- Developed online patient education material and discharge preparation video
- Interprofessional Unit Council
- Weekly Interprofessional Patient-Centered Rounds
- Links to Westpark Respiratory Rehabilitation Centre to facilitate transition back into the community
For more information regarding job opportunities on our Thoracic Surgery Unit please contact:
Jocelyne De Romana, Nurse Manager
Thoracic Surgery, Respirology and Patient Flow
Phone: (416) 340-3268
Fax: (416) 340-4119